Motor Vehicle License Suspension Lawyer | Lipman & Katz

Connect with UsFacebook IconLinkedIn IconTwitter IconYouTube Icon

Motor Vehicle Suspensions

Know what can happen inside and outside the court system

Lipman & Katz attorneys understand the importance of a driver’s license for Mainers of all ages; to get to work or school, visit family, go to a job interview, or get away for a vacation.

Motor vehicle offenses are a minefield of collateral consequences; the most obvious being the change to one’s auto insurance premiums. Significant offenses like operating under the influence (OUI) lead to the suspension of one’s license for a period of time, but the Maine Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) has its own power to suspend a license based on a police report — whether there's a criminal conviction or not. The holder of a commercial driver’s license (CDL) is also in danger of suspension by the BMV in addition to what happens to his or her right to drive a passenger car.

The BMV also suspends licenses based on certain convictions, like operating after suspension (OAS), or passing a stopped school bus, even when the court doesn’t order suspension. These non-court-ordered suspensions can be challenged only if a hearing is requested — and there’s a tight deadline to make the request. Any letters from the BMV must be read carefully because what the BMV does is separate from what the court does.

Let Lipman & Katz handle the potential consequences 

Our attorneys can handle these potential consequences effectively and efficiently. Never count on law enforcement or prosecutors to bring out-of-court consequences to your attention. They may not be aware of what can happen outside the court system.

Under certain conditions it’s also possible to apply for a hardship or work-restricted license. Our attorneys can help determine if this is an option in your case.

If you or a loved one have been summonsed, arrested, or charged with a criminal offense, make sure to seek legal advice immediately in order to understand what you are faced with in court.

Call us at 800-660-3713 or fill out our free inquiry form for more information.